Monday, April 27, 2009

AN EXCITING JOURNEY TO MINT MUSEUM

My life in Singapore seems to be more and more regular. Four whole days’ English course from Monday to Thursday and the science course on every Friday cycle from week to week. Occasionally I would go around in Singapore or contact with parents and friends on weekends, which seems all my life in Singapore. However, when I am informed that I have been selected in the MOE program named “meals@ home”, I feel quite fortunate and happy. I imagine that it must be an exciting activity because some of us SM3 students can have the opportunity to make new friends with local families and so it is.
Yesterday, we were arranged a journey to MINT MUSEUM, where our host families awaited us. Before it I looked up the word “mint” in dictionary and found it meant “the herb whose leaves have a clean smell and taste, used to flavor food, drinks and candy”. I felt quite confused because I wondered how could there be a museum for mint, but only after I arrived there did my confusion vanish. MINT actually means “moment of imagination and nostalgia with toys”. And my interest was inspired immediately when I found it was actually a museum of precious toys and rare posters. And after several ice-breaking games and a feast of delicious food, we began our visit of the unique museum.
The guide says that the toys on display are collected from all over the world, and their owner is a wealthy engineer. All his collections are rare and each of them is less than 10 all around the world. Following are some typical and most interesting displays.

@You can never forget this man, Popeye, who becomes strong after eating spinach. Followed are his friends or families.

@I felt shocked when I saw a wall of items of “Tetsuwan Atom”, here is only part of them.
@Here is the picture-story book from China, we can infer that they were made in the mid of last century.
@I have to mention this because I also had a toy frog when I was a child but I threw it away, so sad!

@You must know the Beatles, right? I’m sure you’ll be crazy when you see the collections about the Beatles. Especially after you know that all the collections about the Beatles are worth a BMW car, you cannot control your feeling, right?
@Do you notice some difference in this poster? You see the King Kong stands on the world trade center but not the Empire State Building, it is the point. Because the world trade center was destroyed because of terrorists in 2001, and this poster was made in 1970s, so it becomes extremely precious because it is a record of the Empire State Building.

Hope you can have a visit to mint museum one day, really enjoyable!

3 comments:

  1. Your blog made me want to go there myself. Sometimes the imaginative toys can bring us much joy. We should occasionally behave like children so that our lives are not so monotonous.Enjoy your HOME MEAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW Zhang Jiao, you MUST tell me where this museum is! I didn't even know there's a Mint Museum in Singapore! Whereabout is it??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting all the pictures, Zhang Jiao. I've eaten at the restaurant at the Mint Museum but I didn't have the time to actually go in. I hope to go, though, during the June holidays. I'm glad you had a chance to meet your host family and to interact with people outside of SM3.

    ReplyDelete