Friday, April 17, 2009

Review of the USP interview

This morning I came to NUS for my first interview in Singapore. I set up all the plan the day before. Get up at 7:00; take a bath at 7:15; have breakfast at 7:30 and leave for NUS at 8:00. I turned out to arrive at school at 8:30, half an hour earlier.
Instead of going there directly I hided into Central Library. Sitting on the sofa alone, I thought about how I should cope with it. My heart raced fast. USP is a great chance for me. Sometimes I wonder that maybe it is not the courses that attracted me but the prestigious name.
I reminded myself that I came here for a show. I was going to display the best side of me. From that interview I can gain a lot of experience. I even bring the "BEST SPEAKER" and "BEST TABLE TOPIC" award I won to encourage myself.
Time is limited. I looked at my watch: 8:45. I went straight to the changing room and have my cloth changed. I didn't know whether it is out of nervousness, I happened to forget how to tie my tie! it took me another 10 minutes to cope with it. When I arrived at ADM Level 7, it was already 9:10.
I caught sight of DU Fang immediately. Among other well dressed JC graduates, he was in shorts and T-shirt.It is even less formal than what he wears to classes! We sat together and waited for our turns for a while. I tried to smile naturally but failed. My face seemed to be punched a moment before. Every single movement felt strange to me.
When my name was called, I stood up straight, seemingly confident. I steped into the seminar room. Two interviewers already waited there for me. From that moment time speeded up. The questions were not so close to my anticipation. They mostly came into my major, which is the field I knew least. what is most ironic is that I was intended to research into my major when the interview suddenly came in. I tackled with the questions with the limited knowledge I had. Not so successful but not so bad either.
The thing I need to improve most is I need to improve is that I need to be more "aggressive". All the interview was just like a question followed by an answer. No matter how well I answered I could not get hold of the interview. I should take chances to speak up for myself. When the interview was to end, the two interviewers paused for a short moment. If I was experienced enough, I would certainly cut in and show my characters that were not able to be shown before. When I came out of the room, I felt nothing. It's like a glass of water, no taste at all. I knew I was different from every other one. But I failed to show it! All the preparation didn't count.
I think the chance for me to be enrolled this time would be no more than 40%. I don't know how well others performed. I am just not satisfied with my own.
I promise to myself that I will dominant next interview. I say it and I mean it.

1 comment:

  1. Put aside your interview for the time being since it's passed.
    Yes, you are right that you should speak up a bit so that you at least "look confident".

    ReplyDelete