Monday, April 6, 2009

Stop being stupid on phone!

Today I make a decision. I decide to talk on phone in English as much as possible from now on. I have been embarrassed for quite a few times when talking with some tutors and English-speaking officials on phone. My oral English and listening are not satisfying, but they are far from being that bad.
When I have to speak English on phone, I instantly become stupid. It seems that my mouth is blocked and my brain becomes empty. The only thing I know clearly is that I am talking rubbish full of grammar mistakes and linguistic disorders. The other side will soon recognize that I am a SM student before I rig up no more than two sentences. The most frequently used phrases are “pardon?” and “what?” The few expressions where I don’t make any mistakes are “hello”, “thank you” and “see you”. Had you heard my awfully terrible dialogues you would faint at once. I should apologize to those on the other side of the phone for their sufferings caused by me.
Thinking about this issue, I believe that I lack some experience for phone talking. It also indicates something we ignore when learning English. We should be aware that English learning is a daily commitment.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, talking on the phone is indeed not as easy comparatively as speaking to someone face to face. As we lack the non-verbal cues when we talk on the phone, it is harder for us to judge the other party's reaction. But then, that being said, it is good that you learn that using the English language is a daily commitment.

    ReplyDelete