Sunday, May 17, 2009

Give, but Receive More

Luckily, I was chosen for the Give Program. And my job is to teach grade five students in Blangah Rise Primary School Chinese history.
Then I started my preparation.
I started to search the internet, especially some websites like Wikipedia and Baidu. To find some important information, proper data as well as some accurate knowledge, I have to look for a lot of information and articles.
Sometimes, the different information from different sources can be different in some degree, in this case, to be responsible to the kids, I need to find more information to make a compare and think through it, so that I could make a decision of which one I would use.
Also, sometimes I can not be sure whether some of the knowledge will be too difficult or not that necessary; and sometimes, after I have collected much enough information, I can only choose some of them so that I can finish my topic in time or they can be able to digest what I tell them. In these two cases, some painful choices must be done; after all, they are just Singapore pupils, I can not expect them to learn so much, even though there are really many things I want to tell them.
Then, after the content is done, paper work is needed, PowerPoint is also essential.
In these cases, whatever I do, search information or think about something or make decision and choice, or make paper work and PowerPoint, it requires a lot of time even lessen the time of studying English or math.
But it is worthwhile. From those preparations, I do learn a lot. Some are quite interesting, some are unbelievable, and some are those we Chinese are expected to know but actually not.
When in class, knowing I am not strict as their teachers, the smart monkeys can be extremely naughty, they chat around, they play around, they even walk around, which can drive inexperienced teacher insane. With these kids in a small classroom without air conditioner, my shirt is always wet, even one kid once surprisingly said, oh, Mr. Wang, your shirt is totally wet.
But being with the cute kids, one the other hand, makes me forget about a lot of unhappiness. I can concentrate myself in teaching them, have fun with them and enjoy the innocent or naive time with them. Sometimes I even feel I am like a shepherd leading my little naughty sheep.
Recently, I am doing something I have never done before----making my own book, maybe, just a booklet. Anyway, I am striving to summarize the whole Chinese history from the ancient primitive to the modern China. It is a bit tough for me and I need to finish it in a limited time before the end of the Give Program. It is a big work, but during the process, it is bringing more knowledge as well. Now I have an unprecedented knowledge about the whole progress of the history and I get a great feeling of gratification.
It is a booklet aiming at a complete but simplified and clarified introduction. It is a gift to the kids, also to me. We will all get benefit from it, I believe.
I have given a lot, but I received more!

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful, Wang Chao! Thank you for sharing how much you've learnt even while you were involved in teaching the children. Now perhaps you have a glimpse of what makes teaching special. Each class is different, and each class is special. Even as we come to the end of the Bridging Course, I know I will miss those sessions with all of you. It's really good of you to put in effort to make that booklet. It will not only be something they can read and learn from, but it will also be a memento of Mr. Wang!

    ReplyDelete