Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Magic Mirror

I have a magic mirror, which is just like the one in white snow. Whenever I come up with a question, it can search the answer for me.
One day, confused about what kind of person I was, I opened my mouth to the mirror. “Mirror, mirror, what kind of person am I?”
Paused for a while, it answered me “Well, first, I think you are investigative.” At its words, reflected on the mirror was the scene when I was alone in the computer lab doing my programming tasks. At a very early age, when I entered junior high school, I began to learn Pascal, one of the almost outdated computer languages. At the very beginning, there were more than fifty students in the class. We sacrificed every Saturday to fulfill our interest. However, as time went on, the programming tasks became tougher and tougher. Sometimes, we had to spend a whole day sitting in front of a computer doing one exercise. Thus, learning turned boring and boring. One after another, some classmates dropped their classes and enjoyed their regained happy Saturday. Though as a youngster, I was fond of playing with peers too; as you may guess, it almost formed my habit to go to computer lab every Saturday. Though the process to work on a problem was bitter, the joy when a problem was finally solved grasped my heart tightly. Sometimes, I thought of quite as well, however, even though I forced myself not to go to computer lab occasionally, I could not help my brain running while sleeping, eating even talking. The more I try to leave it, the more I find I can not live without it. Therefore, after a year, only one classmate and I kept on going to computer lab regularly and learning Pascal by ourselves.
After mirror’s words, I closed my eye and pictured the old time, trying to pick up the lost feelings again. I found I really enjoy the feeling that a tough question keeps my brain working subconsciously. I like to solve challenging problems. That may be why mirror said I am investigative.
“Secondly,” the mirror continues, ‘you are curious.”
“New knowledge and new experiences are always attractive to you. It is you who followed teachers after class to their offices most frequently. It is you who were so happy when encountering a terrible flood in Yunnan Province. It seems that anything new can please you, no matter good or bad.”
Hearing mirror talking, I recalled those pieces in my life. If they were not mentioned by mirror, I almost forget them. Actually I did not really heed them until mirror emphasized them.
“Besides, you are also independent.”
“Remember three years ago, you went to Japan alone. And you could take good care of yourself. Remember you made your won decision to go to Singapore though your father prefer you to study in China.”
“Investigative, curious and independent. Though they are not the whole of you, I hope my words can give you a better understanding or yourself.”
The magic mirror really exists in my life. It is my twin sister, Wu Lingshuang. When I was confused about choosing my major and asked her what kind of person I was and which major I was fit for. She dissected my character as above. She is the person who knows me even better than myself. She is the person who is always there, getting ready to give me a hand. She really deserves my closest friend.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your twin sister. I must say that when I found out you have a twin sister, I did wonder whether or not it was difficult for you to be so far away from her. I remember how much I missed my sisters when I first left home at the age of eighteen. Whenever I called home, just the sound of their voices woule make me feel like crying, and it was always so difficult to say goodbye and put the phone down. I think you and I know what a blessing it is to have a sister as one's closest friend!

    ReplyDelete