Monday, May 18, 2009

My First Time...

It was my first time, it was really an enjoyable feeling and I will never forget it.
I...
...donated blood on Sunday.
Several days ago, I have already heard about the blood donation that would be held in Dhoby Ghaot, and guys in NTU, both SM2 and SM3 students, would be there as volunteers to help.
I have already been interested in donating blood before. However, because of some problems, I haven’t got a chance before. This time, with some fellows’ instigation, and to see Nanyang guys, I decided to go with them to have myself bled...
Finally, I got a chance to feel what it would be like.
Maybe we were too enthusiastic. When we arrived, it still had one and half hour before the start. So we had to walk around before 12, and then I just found that Dhoby Ghaot is also a fantastic place to go, especially the top level.
With no surprise, we met our friends there. It was always so wonderful to be with dear friends that hadn’t seen for a long time.
Then, at noon, we started to fill the form before the donation. It was really amazing that we even need to queue! I believe this scenario can never be seen in China, except for last year, after the terrible earthquake.
After finish the frustrating form and some simple check, I finally lay on the bed. Maybe I was brave, maybe I never care about myself, maybe just because I knew it was quite safe... anyway, seeing the big needle got into my arm, I did not feel scare at all, I was totally in peace. And when my red blood flowed into the transparent bag, I just felt happy, only a kind of fulfillment was in my mind. May I was because of the tag stuck on my shirt saying it was my first time; the nurses were really kind to me.
After donation, I was guided to a big table----a table which was full of many kinds of snacks and drinks, even a bit like a buffet, feast started!
Donate your blood, at least for the snacks and drinks! You can save a life, as well as your stomach!

2 comments:

  1. You're both noble and pragmatic, Wang Chao! Maybe you can donate blood on a regular basis, as they are always in need. I've never tried, but I don't think I will qualify, because my red blood count is on the low side. So count yourself fortunate that you are considered an acceptable blood donor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You did it! I hope not just for the snacks and drinks, LOL. Just kidding, of course I know that's not why you donated blood.

    I had a terrifying experience when I was younger. I was a student at NUS, and I wanted to do some good so I went to the blood donation drive. When the needle was inserted, blood drained from my face, and I went pale as a ghost. That really frightened the nurse, and she suggested that I stopped immediately. The half-filled bag of blood was discarded (yes, DISCARDED), and I never did do it again (of course I now know the reason why).
    So good for you! I know this will not be your first and last time =)

    ReplyDelete