Monday, March 30, 2009

The First Step

As a saying goes, a good start is half of the success. However, many times, we may feel it is really difficult to make the first step. Tonight, I am happy that I have made my first step in public speaking. Although, it is not as good as I thought, I hope it will lead me to further improvements.
A month ago, I joined Toastmaster Club in NUS, hoping to improve my public speaking skills. In modern society, only having knowledge is no longer enough. The more important thing is to convey our ideas efficiently. During one months’ time, I managed to come to every meeting and tried table topics several times. Though most of times, I really did terribly, the fellow toastmaster members never laughed at me. They just encourage me constantly, point out what I do well and give precious advice on how to improve my speech. Without their help, I wouldn’t be brave enough to always march forward.
Tonight is new members’ night, an event held for all new members to give their first prepared speeches. At this very special night, I made my mind to give my first speech as well.
A couple of days before the very night, I had already begun to prepare for it. I carefully chose my speech title and selected three points to support the whole speech. And I rehearsed several times alone. I knew the better I prepared the more confident I would be.
And finally, the time came. Fortunately or not, I was chosen as the first speaker tonight. I still remember when I sat on my chair and waited for my name to be called, all inside me was nothing but calmness. Thanks to the innocence about what happened next, I wasn’t nervous at all. Then I was introduced by the toastmaster. After my name was called, I stood up and walked onto the stage. At that moment, I was still not sure what happened. Until I faced the audience, I realized I should start my speech right now. Without any more waiting, I opened my mouth and greeted to all the audience. And just as rehearsed, I gave my speech. I thought I wasn’t nervous on stage for I could remember everything I wanted to say. And since I have put much effort on it, I shall not be regretful.
Though the preparation took a couple of hours and the rehearsals had been made several times, my real speech only took 4 minutes 55 seconds. What a short time. After speech, I walked back to my own seat, evaluating myself in heart. My speech content was not so well organized thus it was unbalanced and could be further enhanced and elaborated. I didn’t make full use of the stage for I didn’t move a lot, only standing in one place. I wasn’t as humorous as other speakers. And I should put on more smiles. Other than these, I also get many more comments from my evaluator, Michelle Choo. She told me that I should make better eye contact with audience, not just focusing on one or two, but looking at everyone. I remember during one of Dr. Zhu’s class, each of us gave a short speech in class and he also pointed out that I hadn’t got enough eye contact, which will definitely be my next working point. Besides, I was encouraged to use more gestures and vocal variety in future speeches. Only after I know my weakness can I get better improvement. I am really grateful to Michelle.
And I should also say many thanks to Yiping, Yuanyi and Chenglong(from another group). You all gave me some priceless advice, such as to raise my voice, to be more confident and to be more powerful in control of the atmosphere, etc. Your words will do me a great favor.
At the end, I shall congratulate to Yiping. You really did a good job and deserved tonight’s best prepared speaker. Hope to see your further improvements as well.Tomorrow will be the last meeting in this semester. I am satisfied that I got started tonight. After all I didn’t lose many opportunities. And I do hope that in next semester, I will perform better and be more and more capable in public speaking.

1 comment:

  1. You always have the strive to push yourself forward. Sometimes I feel I am quite croward compared to you. Keep practicing! I strongly believe that we can be terrific speakers in the end. I am now trainning for my table topic. Hope to make a leap myself next time ^^

    ReplyDelete