Monday, March 2, 2009

Unforgettable rains

In my home city, I had never expected or encountered such heavy rains. But here you can’t be too surprised at it. It is so frequent that you have to treat them as water off a duck’s back.
This afternoon, while I was talking with my mom on the cellphone, I roamed in the yard. Suddenly a drop of rain touched my cheek. I thought it was just a slight rain and stepped towards the canteen leisurely. Within a few seconds, however, it rained cat and dog. And I had to rush to the canteen with all my effort. For the next moment, thunder and lightening took control of the outside world of Eton Hall. The sky which was bright just now turned into dark instantly. The raindrops fell down one by one and formed countless strings linking the ground with the sky. Water first covered the earth, and then at a tremendous speed, it extended to the canteen and occupied both balcony and aisle. In order to avoid being caught by the rain, we fell the curtain down and shut the doors. Even though, we couldn’t escape from the terrible effect of the heavy rain. Holding my cellphone, I could hardly hear what my mom was saying. The noisy thunder and the rustles of the rain constantly caught my attention and almost covered my mom’s voice. What was worse, power was off because of the terrible thunder. Upstairs, all my clothes hanging out to dry in the sun were wet again. What a horrible rain.
Immediately, I thought of last week’s unforgettable experience. It was on last Saturday that we went to NUS for a major lecture. On the way back, rain began to pour down from the sky. We waited at the bus station for its stop. After half an hour, however, it didn’t turn little at all. With despair, we rushed into the heavy rain. Though holding an umbrella in hand, it seemed no better than a hat. Except hair, we got all wet. All the way, I was worried the raindrops would break the umbrella. While we carefully walked along the road, a car rushed by. It splashed dirty water all around; we had no place to hide but be attacked. Then our last dry part, cheek and hair got wet.
Thanks to the heavy rain, I should say. Every time it gave me an unforgettable experience, adding something special and exciting to my plain life, though it is too violent sometimes.

7 comments:

  1. It's so strange that in Singapore February and March are not rainy seasons, but it indeed rained a lot, but we can't fight against the God, what we are supposed to do is to bring our umbrella when we are out,God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think rainy is very good day for me. when i was in senior 3 i used to walk with my best friend when it was raining very heavily it was very interesting thing. we enjoyed it very much. But the rain here is much heavier than that in my hometown. I can not imagine if i go out without an umbrella what will happen here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really good writing about the rain in Singapore! I like rains, and I like rains in poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really know so many words and phrases .i really admire you a lot .Maybe in shandong we can come across the heavy rain as you describe above.But such heavy rain is rare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Lingxue, I guess if you haven't experienced first-hand what it means to be caught in a tropical rainstorm, it means you haven't yet stayed long enough in Singapore! I can totally identify with what you described because it's happened to me numerous times before! But like Du Fang, I too like the rain when I'm not caught in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE rainy days, and don't mind getting wet =) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. o(∩_∩)o...
    actually, by now, I am not amazed at such heavy rain any more. It is so common here. And I am fond of the cool rains bring to us.

    ReplyDelete