Sunday, March 8, 2009

How to Choose Our Major

Yesterday, SOC organized a meeting for us SM2 and SM3 students, intending to give us a better understanding about majors in SOC. It was quite an enjoyable meeting and I learnt more about this faculty. But the problem is I find I am interested in all of them, after I hear all faculties’ introduction. It is still difficult for me to make my final decision. However, the moment is coming soon when we have to choose a major for our 4-year undergraduate study.
Most of NUS professors and our seniors lead us to choose majors relying on our interest. Once we decide our major, it will accompany us for at least 4 years. So if we do not enjoy the learning process, we will suffer all day long. For me, this standard is quite reasonable and acceptable. Whereas, it is not so practical, because I am even not sure what my interest lies in.
My parents insist on choosing major based on future career. First, decide what kind of life and job I want in my life. Then choose my major related to it. They think career will be my lifelong friend. Better to think about it as early as possible. Strive for it before I really step into society. I think their words are correct too. They have lived a much longer life than I, more experienced. Whether suffer from or enjoy their lives, they use their knowledge to guide us a smoother life. But to be an engineer, to be a scientist, to be an economist, to be a finance analyst…all float across my mind. I am confused.
To gain one thing means to lose another. I acknowledge that considering choosing a major, I am greedy. On the other hand, I know I can not learn everything, so I am not prepared well to give up any. How to choose my major? It really makes me headache. But, I know, making decision is part of university life, part of adulthood.

7 comments:

  1. I am in the same situation like you! I am really confused about where my interest lies.just keep on searching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making decitions is a important part of life.I believe so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think not just Yuanyi but many of your other classmates are experiencing what you have just expressed, Lingxue, so you are not alone in this. Yet I guess knowing that you are not alone in this may not be that much comfort, as each of you still must go through this process on your own. However, the process of making your choice is itself an important one, because as Zhao Kun has pointed out, it's an inevitable part of life, and this is such an important decision that it's good that you are turning it over and over in your mind. Find out as much as you can, and speak to seniors doing different majors, but make sure that you listen to yourself as well. What I found helped me was to take a large piece of paper, and to list down all the majors I was interested in. Then I jotted down all the pros and cons of each one, and compared one against the other, so that I could narrow down my choices. It may not work for you, but I'm sure that in time, you will come to your own decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can draw lots to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for my dear fellow students' understanding and Ms Khoo's kind advice. May all of us make a right decision in April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed this is a very big 'headache' =) and not one where an answer is easy.

    For me, I was interested in many areas, and like you, found it hard to come to a decision. After all, making a 'wrong' choice could be disastrous.

    Eventually, I decided to go with my heart. Of course I also weighed the pros and cons, asking myself what am I good at, and what am I not good at (that really helped). But really, I went with my heart, asking myself what I really want to do in the future.
    [That's why I think the SDS will come in handy - will be running through it with you this Thur, sorry for the delay]

    ReplyDelete
  7. chose the right answer.you know because we did not study the university courses before so we can not definitely chose the right one .maybe we can chose to fall love in the major while studying.

    ReplyDelete