Saturday, March 28, 2009

Training to be a public speaker

Ever since the first time I stood on the stage, I would rock when speaking in front of a group of people. My line prepared again and again before the speech would suddenly vanish. All the logic that has been elaborately developed twists like a coil of wool. The butterfly in my stomach begins to swoop vigorously and I have nothing to do with it.
Experience like this strikes me again and again. With every single failure of public speaking, my fear for it worsens. The OP and OR just couldn’t help much. I was almost desperate when I noticed the advertisement for Toastmasters Workshop. The title was “worrying for your next big presentation? Toastmasters can help.” In fact, I was indeed deadly worrying about the coming presentation. So I joined the workshop without any hesitation.
I still remember how astonished I was when I saw the speakers speak on the stage with great confidence. It was not only a presentation, it is a show! Then I was called up to introduce myself in front of the audience. The terrible feeling overpowered me again. I was so nervous that I forgot what to say right on the stage. The speaker taught me to visualize my strongest image in my mind while I was speaking. I tried again. Only slightly better, but I received a round applaud.
Magically I began to love the feeling of public speaking. Every time, I would still be nervous. But I gradually gain control of my nervousness. The truth is that, nervousness, if you don’t show it, nobody will know. Instead of thinking how I could cope if I fail, I started to pay attention to the quality of my presentation. I trained my voice, posture and gesture separately. In the Toastmasters Meetings, I learnt from the best speakers and challenged myself to present my idea in public.
My presentation 1 turned out to be successful. I was more confident than I wished. And next Monday, I will present my project 1 in Toastmasters New Members’ Night. I told myself: I am ready! With sufficient preparation and all the skills to cook a perfect presentation, what am I waiting for?

3 comments:

  1. HaHa, I am going to see your spectacular speech on Monday! Don't foget to tell me the right place and right time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really did an excellent job. congratulations!

    you have some special talents in public speaking indeed. make full use of them!
    i am waiting for your greater achievements.

    ReplyDelete