Sunday, March 1, 2009

WHO KILLED MY HOBBIES

Several days after I settled in Eton Hall, I met two SM2 students——a boy and a girl. Much to my surprise, they are so good at playing the piano, both of whom have reached Level 10. I enjoyed their performance with my own eyes, leaving me jealous. Although I also have many hobbies, I find that I am never able to really develop any of them. So I tried to figure out what leads to the result:
When I was in primary school, I tried to learn a mass of things like pingpong, chess, electronic organ, etc. And I could do quite well in many of them, implying that I’m not stupid. But as time went by, the school work outweighed my hobbies and took up more and more time. I had to work hard to get a good mark in all exams.
Things grew worse when I began my middle school. According to the common situation in China, students are supposed to devote to their course in order to survive the National Colledge Entrance Examination. So I was buried in boundless assignments and dull curriculum when I kept hearing the saying “No pains, no gains!” No doubt that my hobbies were relentlessly persecuted. But the fact proved that proverbs are not always right. I failed my NCEE. I felt sorry for myself, sorry for my sacrificed hobbies.
In spite of the miserable situation, I won’t be depressed. No in Singapore, I have more time that I can govern myself. Besides study, I can choose to do whatever I want to. Compared with the two SM2 fellows, I know I will never reach such a height, but I will always enjoy my hobbies and stay happy with them.

9 comments:

  1. Actually, studying hard for examinations doesn't necessarily mean sacrifice of hobbies. Anyway, we are living a new life now. Pick up new hobbies and enjoy your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Lingxue, when I was very young ,my mother wanted me to study something about art, but I refused,but now I feel regretful,when I heard someone playing piano in Eton Hall, I think they are good,so do what you like and never lose heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have also learned pingpang Sketching calligraphy, for studying hard i gave up nearly all my hobbies. i have not drew for about 3 months and i have not take part in a drawing class for about 3 years. i still remember how much i like drawing when i was in junior school. so i think if we have hobbies do not give up. it will make us live a full life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes,I strongly agree with them!I also had a dream to be an artist when I was a child.,but my parents just wanted me to be a good student and enter a good university in the future,also because the family condition limited so it could only be my dream.I really admire the pianist’s excellent performance and wonder how they can play a complex piece of music so fluently,really amazing!Anyhow,having one more hobby only has advantages rather than disadvantages,and the height you achieve doesn’t matter,what matters is that everytime you play piano you really enjoy yourself I think,Besides I have heard your playing,not bad!Come on monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I have the same experience as you do. I learned drawing about 10 years since I was 6 years old. And it is true that I can draw really well. But when I went to high school I can't find time to practise myself and now I think I am rusty. My hands are not as skillful as before. I can't make a balance. Who have good ideas about this ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always start again, Ning Chao. You are really still very, very young. If you like drawing, you can still pick it up again. Of course, you may need to give yourself time to get to the standard you were at before, but if you persist, you will definitely be able to. And Du Fang, after what Zhang Jiao said, I'd really like to hear you play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, God is not fair to everyone
    All you can do is to accept it and try your best

    ReplyDelete
  8. no matter what you do and what you choose, youshould follow your own heart, listen to it, it will guide you when you are lost, and no matter what choice you've made, just go for it, carry on and never give up, because it's your own choice, you should be responsible, never regrate. then you will find a whole new world belongs to you.
    god is fair, actually, if you could see those who are really unfortunate and suffered from pains and difficulties. we all lost something, but we all get something that many peers can hardly get. don't complain so much. the only one you could blame to is yourself.
    thanks be to god, for he bring me an eye to see, an ear to hear and a mind to think, i have no more extravagant hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In fact, I think now we do have much time to widen ourselves. I still believe if we just spend days dealing with the bridging course, we are really wasting our lives here. so we should do something we like and something we consider valuable to color and fill our best time in our lives. Hobbies are important to us obviously, because they are from the deepest space of our inner hearts. maybe that's what keep us holding on and enjoy life. hope you can just enjoy something, repick something, taste something which you think important to you, that's enough. Wishes to us!

    ReplyDelete