Wednesday, January 28, 2009

First Chinese New Year in SG

As the most important festival in China, Chinese New Year means so much to us. I’ve never thought of enjoy my 18th Chinese New Year abroad before.
This is a warm, quiet and a bit lonely Chinese New Year without firework, these characteristics of it are what I’ve never experienced. My hometown is a pretty white world decorated by snow this time every year. There were so many guys and so much noise of firework and laughing surrounding me. Under the atmosphere of happiness and auspices, families get together to enjoy festival.
Since abroad, this time may makes us most homesick. Luckily, we friends here can warm each other. In the last day of 2008 in Chinese lunar calendar, of course wearing new clothes,we went to FairPrice in the moring, bought chunks of food and drinks like M&M, Pringles juice and so on. Then we who are from Jilin University hurried to NTU, our friends there gave us a warm greet, including seniors of NUS and NTU and juniors all from Jilin University. Walking on campus, so quiet, feeling a bit lonely though with classmates. We went to a Hall canteen then had some dumplings with seniors. I appreciated that seniors offered dumplings, the symbol of Chinese New Year. They were really delicious and made us feel like home. In fact, we planned to play games after dinner, but I found we would hardly catch the Chinese New Year Eve Festival on CCTV on time. So then we went back to NUS and watch the eve festival on line. It is familiar to me, but on line, it is the first time. Every year, we expect the drama of Zhao Benshan, he didn’t make us disappoint this time, either.
It was so quiet outdoor, without the noise of firework, I heard the raining clearly. Just before lunar new year was coming, I called back to my family in China sending my best wishes to them, I guessed they missed me but I convinced so did I. My family were fine, that made me feel better. After that classic old song, we called to taxies to Eton Hall. That’s the first time we called a taxi. It was really expensive during night.
So that’s the first Chinese New Year in Singapore, warm almost hot, quiet and a bit homesick lunar new year. The new year has begun just like the beginning of abroad.
Finally, best wishes to my family and my friends, hope you good health and a wonderful life.

(PS: we watched two movies at Golden Village during holidays, Inkheart and Red Cliff. The former was a bit slick, doubt it is born in new line cinema or not. Red cliff, though the first half was criticized by someones, I expect it for long time. I like Sangou, I respect the heroes there. The movie is glamorous also with humor. Director Wu changed history a little, but that’s OK. In a word, I desire to watch Red Cliff while I’m abroad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment