Monday, January 19, 2009

To jot down a Christian meeting

Last night we were invited by Mr. Seto to have a meeting at his church. As a free dinner is offered and we had long been tired of the meals in Eton Hall, we were more than willing to go. The dinner is supposed to start at 6:30 p.m.; however, we wasted a lot of time finding that place. Before we got there, it was already approaching 8:00 o’clock.
Mr. Seto welcomed us warmly at the gate. He was the tutor of another group. It was the first time I met him. He was middle aged and very easy going. When we got upstairs, the room was already piled with SM3 students like us, most of who had already finished their dinner and began to chat. We then helped ourselves to the food hastily. To our expectation, it was much better then Eton Hall’s.
8:30 p.m., Mr. Seto led us to the meeting room. After a brief introduction, he asked someone to talk about their relationship with god. The first to speak was an Indian lady who is also a tutor in NUS. Being born in a very conventional Muslim family, she really had a hard time to make the decision to believe Jesus. She made it when she was studying in NUS twenty years ago, and remains faithful till now.
Another one to speak is a senior student from China. He was now pursuing his PHD in NTU. He shared about his loneliness and emptiness when he entered university. “Why I come to Singapore? What is the meaning of all the things I learn here? What can I do after I graduate”, those are his questions, same is ours. There is a great uncertainty and confusion after we come to this totally new country.
But there is god, as Mr. Seto addressed. God always love you, he’s always with you. He let his son die for the sin man has committed. Whenever there’s pain, he is suffering together. I’ m not sure whether such creator do exist. But I’d rather believe it is true. For it give me a sense of safe. This god is different that he’s so closed to every one, just like a close friend.
The meeting will be held every other week, and I’m sure to attend. I am not a Christian, but the meeting does make me feel peace. Everything in the world, you don’t have to believe, but at least you have to know.

4 comments:

  1. Do talk to somebody if you have any questions. We can all help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also on the way to find the meaning of life ,and i really want to know is God here with us ?is God fair ?Is god love everyone?Iam not sure because so many things happens.
    Maybe one day I will be not confused !but long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not Christians doesn't mean we don't have beliefs.it can be something else, but something good too.anyway,I am not that familiar with god,but I think he is a nice guy

    ReplyDelete