Sunday, January 25, 2009

First Chinese new year in Singapore

  Today I had my first Chinese new year in Singapore. This is my first time not to spend the Spring Festival with my family but with our seniors of Central South University. Although I'm quite homesick and feel a pity of can't have a family get together or reunion dinner,I still have a good time preparing the dinner such as making dumplings ,preparing hotpot.At first,I didn't know how to make dumplings. All that I had done when I'm at home is nothing but eat as we have two good cooks home. Making dumplings is not an easy task in my eyes. It's a thing that more easy to say than practice. First,you should know how to mix the water with the flour at the right ratio.Second,you should use the right way to make dumplings or your dumplings will break up when boiled. Third,how to boil the dumplings is also a difficult task.If the dumplings are raw or over boiled,I don't think they'll taste good.
  Compared with dumplings,I like hotpot better. Born in Hunan province, chilli becomes my favourite. When I was at home,I hardly have a meal without chilli.In terms of Hunan people's favourite,hotpot must be one of the top ten. The wonderful hotpot we had tonight recalled the memory of BU LIAO GUO,one of the most popular hotpot in Changsha. Maybe you can't understand why we Hunan people like chilli so much.Is it so important to have chilli or not?Let me tell you;what chilli is to us is what water is to fish. Then,you may understand better why I am so excited when I hotpot comes into my eyes.
  After the dinner,we started to watch special TV programmes for the Lunar New Year of CCTV. Together with the music,comes out our laughters.We all have a pure joy filled in our hearts at that time. Though we are far away from our country,far away from our family members as well as friends,we know that we're not alone and we have someone who cares for us and someone to care about as well.
  In a word,this unforgettable dinner warmed my heart and reduced my homesick.We get to know more about each other.It opened a door to making new friends,challenging new opportunities and enjoying new life.I appreciate it!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment