Wednesday, January 21, 2009

When Beijingners meet in Singapore

For some reasons, here in Singapore, very rare could you see a person from Beijing. Every time I told others I’m from that city, they will ask me why I come all the way to Singapore. It’s not even as big as a district in Beijing. The reason for it, I know, but could not tell.
In Eton Hall, all kinds of dialects are spoken, except that of Beijing. For the first time in my life, I realized the charm of my home city and its people.
Suddenly, one night I got a call from a girl, telling me that she is my supper supper senior, and that she is from Beijing also. A meeting would be held between Beijing students and she asked if I would like to come.
Sure, I said, feeling like an expatriate seeing the border of his country and a weary traveler who finds clear stream for the first time in the whole month.
I began to count down days long before the meeting was actually held. On that very day, I got to the restaurant 15 minutes early. My seniors arrived in succession within a couple of minutes. Introduction was made. I came to notice in surprise that among all 11 people, 5 are from my high school. Truly we were strangers before, but in someway, we are not strangers at all---we are born in the same city and our experiences are so tightly connected that we started to talk like old friends immediately.
Over the steam of the hot pot, we talked about our high school teachers and interesting things that happened. Once a topic was raised, an exciting discuss would be cooked. Even though we were not at the same school during the same period of time, we have one thing in common. It’s the attachment to our high school. Last year, we just celebrated her 100th birthday. She has stood there as the leader of education in China for a whole century. And year by year, we inherit the spirit of her.
Through the talk, I learned that ever year, it is tradition that seniors will help new comers to overcome the first phase. Some seemingly little kindness can be remembered all through the years. When they talked how their own seniors helped them, their gratefulness is beyond the words. I am asked again and again whether I had any difficulties. After confirmed about my well being, they went along to discuss my future major with me. Some advices they offered will be my important reference.
That after we departed, I could still feel the warmth in my heart. After all, I found my home here.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People from the same hometown are very enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always entertaining to talk to someone who is from your hometown or home city because you have so much in common and so much to recall, but you don't have to confine yourself to people from the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The urban area of Beijing, which includes Dongcheng, Xicheng, Xuanwu, Chongwen is 87.1km2, while Singapore is 707.1 km2.
    Which district are you living in? ^-^!!

    ReplyDelete